I have decided to write 10 short blogs about performance improvement from a practical point of view. These 10 blogs are not the only answer to the performance issues, but they are practical answers to a lot of problems that a lot of users / companies experience.
The 10 blogs will be
- Forget about indexing, lets work with executionplans instead. A lot of users tend to be to focused on indexing. Indexing can be a great thing, but if you don’t understand the nature of your queries and what causes the problems, then you can’t do prober indexing. Don’t misunderstand me… Indexing is very IMPORTANT, but it is not everything.
- Let’s start profiling. Executionplans shows how the query is executed and profiling shows what is executed. Both things are important, and if you know how to master profiling and executionplans, then you are well ahead with performancetuning.
- Database properties. This one is a simple one, but basically its about how to setup your database to tweak the best performance out off it, or at least to avoid a degrade in performance.
- Server configuration. We don’t look at everything that you need to know about serverconfiguration, but we talk about the small things that can improve performance without a lot of costly changes.
- Indexes. Lets discuss indexes, what types of indexes that you can use and when to use them.
- Statistics. What are statistics and how can it help improve performance.
- Concurrency analysis. How do we handle multiple users.
- Code analysis and rewriting. A lot of developers write a lot of crap code, and in this blog, I will try to show what is important when you want to have a fight with developers.
- The worst tool, Database Engine tuning advisor. But we need to know how to use it, and what we can use it for.
- Datatypes and common mistakes.
I hope that you will join me in these blogs, and you are also welcome to comment on them.